The do’s and don’ts – Circle One Surfboard Care Guide
So you’ve finally decided which surfboard to buy! Following good surfboard care is so important in extending the life of your surfboard so here are some top tips to protect your new surfboard:
- Rinse the surfboard after using it. Doing this stops the salt stains on the surfboard but also helps prevent corrosion from grime/salt building up in the fin boxes/grub screws.
- Avoid wrapping your leash around your board. Remove your leash and stash it somewhere you wont forget it next time, trust us on this one! It makes a world of difference when your leash isn’t tangled in the water.
- Don’t store your surfboard somewhere really hot and avoid extreme changes in temperature e.g. going straight from cold sea to a boiling hot car. This goes for having your surfboard in the sunshine too – try and find a nice shady spot for it if you are going to be chilling on the beach for long.
- Don’t leave your board wax-side up in the sun, it will cause the wax to melt and won’t last as long so you will have to re-wax your board more often.
- Be careful when carrying your board, it is easy to hit into objects and ding the nose and tail of your board in particular.
- Learn how to properly wax your surfboard, and fully clean the wax off regularly and reapply so it is doing its job and protecting your surfboard.
- Remove your fins when you are storing your surfboard for long periods of time, they are liable to be snapped or worse cause damage to your surfboard.
- Keep it wrapped up, check out our range of board bags; they definitely help stop the dings you don’t find, until you go to surf.
- DO NOT SURF if the surfboard has damage which has penetrated the resin, get it fixed. Surfing it will cause more damage by allowing water inside. If there’s no other option (sometimes we just have to surf) use a quick ding repair kit like Phix Doctor UV Epoxy/Poly Ding Repair Kit which can patch up your board for a quick fix.
- DO NOT use wax to fill a ding, this doesn’t work and will only make any repair harder to carry out.
- If you are going to be storing the surfboard for a while, remove the wax. **dirty wax smells!**
Check out our full range of surfboards for sale at Circle One!